Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Mindfulness for a busy life.

I know busy. I am busy. I believe that a busy life makes mindfulness mandatory. Here's what I recommend, remind myself and practice:

1. Do what you are most passionate about. And if you are already doing it, then be mindful about those irksome aspects of your work and pour some love into those areas too. That's the way to be most alive at work and at home. Need some help with finding your passion? try this.

2. Stop thinking about what to do next. What are you doing right now? Just focus on that. Here's how you can learn this skill.

3. Stop feeling guilty about what you did or what you are not able to. Persistent, gnawing guilt is unnecessary, it only perpetuates more of itself. Instead, feel bad if you must and learn from the event in order to move on.

4. Wake up early, practice yoga and meditation (or some form of grounding practice) and partake in some creative activity before you start your day (if you can). The creative activity could be anything from writing, drawing, quilling, whatever rocks your boat.
My Monthly Wall Planner at Home

5. If you desire more clarity and focus to your day keep to-do lists and organize your day. Your brain cannot remember everything. If you must, keep a planner and schedule home and work stuff on different planners (that you can use in either places). Without overwhelming yourself complete the to-do lists as much as you can while you are meet the day as it unfolds.

6. Schedule self-care to-do's in your planner too. In my room, on the wall I have a planner up for the week (besides this monthly planner you see in the picture. I remind myself to keep next day's work clothes out, to care for my skin-face and body, and to care for my hair. If you are thinking "what the hell" then let me tell you, in my busy life with baby, hubby and work I tend to easily let go of basic self care of even applying moisturizer to my skin. This serves as a reminder for me to take 2 minutes out for myself, come hail or storm.

7. Put up a planner in the kitchen too, so you can keep track of groceries, what to cook each day and so forth. I need this, ABSOLUTELY. Why? because I really dislike cooking but I know so well, how important it is to make a good home cooked food for the family. So by putting this planner up I prepare myself to like cooking, or deciding on what to cook and so forth. Here are some ways to spruce up your planners.

8. Keep a gratitude journal. I have been doing this a while...I write about three things I am grateful about everyday. I try to write everyday. Studies indicate that people who maintain a gratitude diary are more happy than those who dont. While I dont know about happy I feel more grounded in the reality of my days. I feel a greater sense of appreciation for the low points and the high points of my days and I also feel more capable of managing difficult patches of my life. Here's some help with this.

9. More recently, in an email exchange with Catherine Just, she gave me a precious piece of advise. She advised me to journal everyday (or everytime I remember) about three things I am grateful for about WHO I AM as a way to build a sense of self acceptance and love. I cannot tell how unbelievabily glad  I am for this amazing piece of advice. This rings as important for me because I often struggle with accepting myself for who I am in the right now-especially when I am angry, frustrated or exhausted. I expect to function with complete grace and wisdom at all times and my demands upon myself are really my worst enemy. This acceptance of myself as who I am is a way for me to accept everyone I love for exactly who they are right now. Write about three things you are grateful for about WHO YOU ARE right now.

10. " I have no time" is just a ruse for "I dont want to do it". Even if it is only 5 mintues, take some time out to practice the activity you love most- for me it is many five minutes of meditation, scrapbooking, art journalling and self care. And why do that? To stay creative, mindful about everyday life. Here's inspiration to take time out.

What helps you stay mindful in your busy life?

Like what you read? Sign up for our monthly newsletter!

12 comments :

  1. As one progresses in one's understanding and pursuit of the true nature of phenomena, the natural tendency is to become complacent and subconsciously arrogant. Reading this post, I can see how easily I let myself trap my self in the web of being busy. I know. I understand. But I still do not practice. What a lovely wake up call this post has been.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Subho for the wonderful comment. I agree with you, It so natural to become complacent and arrogant. I become that often, and I look at it as part of the practice, to become more humble with every fall. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Ohh Myy GOD baby this is too awesome. No wonder you feel so cool and relaxed today :-) I need to learn to practice some of these that I don't right now such as doing something creative and writing a Journal! I'm not sure how to go about these things but let me try. I am really very proud of you baby .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Appisa! as usual we already discussed the blog after you read it. So i am not sure what to comment. But I lou that you read all my posts! ummmah!

      Delete
  3. Akka its too lovely .its a reminder too all who feel they have no time for lot of things .coz they r busy .with love amma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amma!! My id ka chand!! Thanks for reading yaar, u are TOO cute. I agree with you. Because of your motivation only I put up those wall reminders. I love you lots! ummmah!

      Delete
  4. Looks like I am close to retirement. Nothing else to do and entire day there is nothing to do at office. The only thing which interest me these days is to watch a movie or have a drink. I want to be busy. What to do??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. venu! Hi! This post then has to be rewritten as mindfulness for a sedentary life...stay tuned ;)

      Delete
  5. Great post, following these simple suggestions in some form will give great benefits in these busy times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vamsee! so glad to see you comment! thanks for reading :-)

      Delete
  6. Love your planner wall! What kind of paint is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shankari! Not sure...I think its one of those nerolac ones ...remember an ad with Shahrukh Khan writing on walls with his ad-baby?

      Delete

I highly value your comments.Thank you for taking the time to do so.